BLUESTONE SEALing & Cleaning
CLEANING AND SEALING BLUESTONE PAVERS
Bluestone, otherwise known as ‘Basalt’, is a popular natural stone commonly used for outdoor hardscaping projects such as patios, walkways, and pool paving. However, like all-natural stone, bluestone is porous and susceptible to stains, discolouration and damage from the elements. Therefore, it is important to properly clean and seal bluestone to protect it and preserve its appearance.
Cleaning and sealing bluestone protects it from damage caused by weather, foot traffic, pool water and exposure to outdoor elements. Some of the key reasons why cleaning and sealing bluestone is important to include:
- Durability: Bluestone can be damaged by exposure to moisture, various chemicals and environmental elements over time. Sealing the stone’s surface creates a deep protective barrier that can significantly prolong the life of the stone.
- Appearance: Professionally cleaning and sealing bluestone ensures the natural integrity of the material. Our products and processes ensure that the treated material’s colour, texture and slip rating remain intact. This can be especially important for outdoor hardscaping projects, as it helps to create a cohesive and attractive outdoor space.
- Stain Protection: Bluestone is a porous material, meaning it can absorb various liquids and stains, which can result in permanent discolouration. By sealing bluestone, the surface becomes easier to clean and maintain. Please be aware that sealing the stone does not eliminate the need for cleaning; stains will still need to be attended to promptly with Prestige Surfaces suggested cleaning products.
- Longevity: Laboratory testing has demonstrated a significant reduction in corrosion and deterioration to treated materials with our flagship #JUSTSEALIT product ensuring superior performance and longevity.
The process of bluestone restoration
Over time, bluestone can become dull, stained, or damaged due to exposure to traffic and environmental elements. The Prestige Surfaces bluestone restoration process involves restoring the stone’s appearance and durability by professionally cleaning and sealing the stone.
The steps involved in our bluestone restoration process include:
- Inspection: To determine the stone’s condition, former cleaning and sealing applications and identify any areas of concern.
- Cleaning: After inspection, the next step is to undertake a tailored mechanical and chemical cleaning process that will remove any debris, stains, efflorescence, mould or other contaminants that have accumulated on the surface of the stone over time.
- Honing: If the bluestone has become dull or scratched, it may require a mild honing process to restore its natural aesthetic. This involves using a specialised machine with abrasive pads and brushes to remove a thin layer of the stone’s surface to reveal a fresh, refined layer beneath.
- Sealing: Finally, we apply a high-quality breathable sealer to protect your stone from future damage. This helps to reduce maintenance, as well as provide a barrier against the elements, prolonging the life of your stone.
Bluestone cleaning, sealing and restoration ensure the appearance and durability of your stone are maintained while enhancing the overall aesthetic of your outdoor areas. Let’s chat about making your home or business look its best today.
It’s a highly porous natural stone material that can be extremely difficult to maintain if untreated, which is why Prestige Surfaces recommend treatment from the moment it is freshly laid.
Should bluestone be sealed?
Yes, bluestone will benefit from sealing to protect it from moisture, stains, environmental conditions and other types of damage. Bluestone is a porous material, which means it can easily absorb various liquids that can cause staining and discolouration. Sealing bluestone can help prevent these issues and extend its lifespan.
What sealer should be used on bluestone?
The best type of sealer on bluestone is a penetrating, breathable option. Penetrating sealers absorb into the stone's pores, providing better protection without altering the appearance. Our invisible protective sealant #JUSTSEALIT absorbs into the substrate without affecting the colour, texture or slip rating.
How often does bluestone need to be sealed?
The frequency of sealing bluestone depends on various factors such as foot traffic, weather exposure, and the use of chemical agents. However, as a general rule, bluestone should be resealed every 3 to 5 years for maximum effectiveness.
Does sealing bluestone make it slippery?
When sealed correctly, bluestone should not be slippery. A penetrating sealer that does not leave a surface film and maintains the current slip-rating of your stone. We always recommend cleaning up any spills or standing water as soon as possible to reduce the risk of slipping.
Can I seal bluestone myself, or should I hire a professional?
While it is possible to seal bluestone yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional to ensure that the job is done correctly. A professional team like Prestige Surfaces has the knowledge and experience to properly prepare the surface and apply the sealer evenly and thoroughly.
GET IN TOUCH
GET A QUOTE OR BOOK US IN.
If you have a query, please feel free to contact us via the form below.
Prestige Services service all of Metropolitan Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.